Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Home, sweet home

Dear blog: I've missed you. Please forgive my absence related to mountains of school work, I promise I'll try to do better. On that note, please proceed.
-C


January 28,

Well, we officially made it.

In my groggy state around 3 am, I stumbled into my new "home" for the next month. In much of a blur, I thanked our driver (who definitely didn't understand me) as well as Dr. Thomas Samuel for helping to arrange our transportation, found my new room and fell asleep in a bed: something I hadn't experienced for a few days.

(Pics from my pal Pravin Lingam and his room - but they're identical rooms, so it works)

The long awaited bed.


Dressers/Closets




Please notice the bucket. Instructions were to fill the bucket so in case your water shut off in the middle of your shower you would have enough water to rinse with.


And, yes, we were high-roller status with our toilets although the external bidet is beside it. For all of you who don't know, I'm referring to the "metallic hose" between the toilet and the sink, in this picture below. I would compare it to a modern day hose: it has a button you push, and a nozzle that the water sprays from. Using your imagination I'm sure you could figure out exactly what that would be used for, otherwise, let me tell you I was grateful they provided us with toilet paper within the hostel. Furthermore, the use of that bidet is why Indians only eat with their right hand...it's also why I was laughed at the first time I asked why Indians only eat with their right hand.


In the end, welcome to Modale International Hostel, Vellore, India.


Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment