Friday, March 19, 2010

Air India: Home away from home?

(Jan 26-27)

Air India executive class, is amazing. Please note the controls on the armrest that apparently recline your seat in all kinds of contortionist ways.

When I realized that these seats actually converted to beds, I seriously wished I would've paid for the upgrade.
Air India First Class cabin

That is, until I realized it would cost over a grand, even by US Dollar standards.
All in all, my seats weren't too bad. Granted, I would've loved a bed - but I managed in economy.

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/9/6/8/1378869.jpg

I was also lucky enough to have the window seat on the far left hand side, right side in the picture, even though to many this would be very unlucky. At least this way I can prop myself up against the wall and "sleep".

Not to mention, I got to watch some quality movies in "Modern English".

After you select movies, you got to pick what language: Hindi, Classic English, Modern English, or German.
Classic English included movies from the 70s (Ha!), and Modern English were movies from 2009. German, on the other hand.......was still English afterall. Kudos to Kelly for attempting to watch a movie in German to be able to provide us with the information that it was, indeed, English.


Interestingly enough, I pulled all of these images from google - and the screen you see, the Taj Mahal, is what I saw on every single flight.

Air India provided meals for the long trek over the Atlantic, which I expected. What I didn't expect, was a meal for every flight - even if it was only an hour. My first couple of meals were....interesting. Let's just say, they made me nervous as to the cuisine that lay ahead for the next five weeks.

Normally, you get the option between "Veg" and "non-veg", but at this point I can't remember in the blur of already being out of my element, culturally, if I had that option or not. It's also entirely possible that I had no idea what she said, and I just said yes, to whatever it was she was prepared to hand to me. Oh, how very Indian of me - blindly agreeing to what you say regardless of comprehension! Little did I know, I was already blending in, I was going to have to learn that lesson the hard way....but that's all in good time.

So there it is, my little tinfoil packaged present sitting on my fold-up table. As I unwrapped my surprise, try to imagine opening a Christmas present only to find you have absolutely no idea what the present is. But all it takes is one look at the person sitting across from you, eyes wide with hope that you'll love your present, and you immediately say I love it....then you spend the next couple of minutes frantically trying to figure out what exactly you're dealing with.

It was a similar experience.

I had rice, check. Some form of a vegetable mix that I couldn't recognize, and something....else. As if testing the waters, I tried to lightly submerge only one prong of my fork into this mess.

I'll skip trying to explain the taste - but I still didn't recognize what it was. Hours after we got off the plane, Kelly told me that was yogurt without any flavor. Thank you America for your artificial, and sometimes natural, fruity flavors that you put into the wonderful yogurt I'm familiar with. As for regular ol plain yogurt, I decided to pass for the remainder of my trip.

On a side note, I would also like to mention that I was especially excited to have my own 3 seats to myself for the longest flight from New York to Delhi...that is, until random people started coming and sitting beside me every couple of hours. No explanation for that. Even still.

Namaste.


No comments:

Post a Comment